Summary: General Impacts
Mark Chernaik, Environmental Law Alliance Worldwide
- The EIS fails to discuss how the project would increase the risk of malaria in locations where the disease is already hyper-endemic,
- The EIS fails to include a Resettlement Plan for forcibly displaced villages.
- The EIS admits to the substantial loss of life that would occur if there is a partial or complete failure of the ISF embankment.
- The EIS fails to identify how risks of acid mine drainage and failure of the ISF embankment would be managed in perpetuity.
- The EIS inadequately characterizes the risk of species extinctions.
- The EIS improperly dismisses alternative project designs that would eliminate or substantiallyreduce harm the project would cause.